Friday, July 6, 2012

Work on the New underground cavern


Well I have a new project going. I decided It was time to try to build a few of the things that have been floating around in my head. Waterfall and underground caverns. I decided to combine the 2 ,so that I could build..... You guessed it an underground waterfall.
I finally broke down and ordered my hot-wire tools from hot wire foam factory and figured this would be the perfect project to cut my teeth on them with so to speak.
I needed this project to be big ,first reason being its for use with 1:18 scale figures , and second that I really wanted to go all out with the tools . That being said the current measurements for the underground portion alone are 24 inches high by 3&1/2 deep by 3 feet wide. Yes that is big...
I knew that something that big would need to be strong which is why I'm using eps foam as the foundation for it.  The foundation has to be strong enough to support the plaster cloth as well as the light weight hydrocal rock castings that I will be using. While it is true that I could have used foam then covered it with non sanded grout I would then not be able to use my woodland scenic's color stains . I don't feel like investing in acrylics right now especially since I'm not very good at mixing colors yet.


Hot wire foam factory 4 in 1 Pro kit

Hot wire foam factory 4-1 pro kit comes with all of this

Woodland scenics rock mold



Completed Rock Castings

Very Careful to seal up all of the seams for strength



used the free hand routing tool to carve water way

A 4 inch figure to give an idea of scale

This is where the moat is going

top down view

Giii-normous


carved the water fall into whats going to be the rock face

carved the well in whats going to be the roof of the cave

A top view of the well

the opposing shore


Centering the temple entrance and the waterfal portion

Used a low temp glue gun to put it all together
Im A big believer in using figures to help you visualize as you build



Testing out a lighting kit from model software builder.com


This is how it would look with the lights off . If I dont mess it up its gonna be cool hahahahah


Filled it up with figures so that I can see what excites me

Adding the paper for contours



As you fill in more and more newspaper wads you can see the cave walls come to life




I wasnt happy with the walls so I added more and also some Ledges so that the Ninjas had someplace to hang out








The Hotwire Foam Factory Home page

No comments:

Post a Comment